6 Winter Skincare Hacks That Will Leave You Glowing This Holiday Season
Looking for a way to motivate yourself after feeling that cold winter wind kick in? We've got 6 skincare hacks, products and top skincare ingredients that will leave you glowing and winter-ready, whether you're looking to avoid dry skin or want to gain back some of your confidence. Get the inside scoop on these secrets now!
Why Does Our Skin Get More Dry In The Winter?
When the weather outside is cold and dry, it’s not just your hands and lips that suffer – your skin does, too. Winter weather can wreak havoc on your skin, leaving it feeling dry, tight, and irritated. But there’s no need to despair! With a few simple tweaks to your skincare routine, you can keep your skin looking its best all season long.
There are a few reasons why skin gets more dry in the winter. First, the humidity level drops when the temperature does, meaning there’s less moisture in the air for your skin to absorb. And secondly, indoor heating systems further contribute to drying out the air, which can lead to dehydration of the skin. Here are a few hacks and tips to help prevent dry winter skin.
Skincare Hack #1: Avoid Very Hot Water
Very hot water will dry out your skin, especially in the winter months. Hot water can often strip the skin of its natural oils, reducing your time spent in the shower and the temperature of your water benefits the condition of your skin. Although this can be counteracted by using a humidifier in your home to keep the air moist and prevent skin from becoming dry or cracked.
Skincare Hack #2: Check the ingredient lists
When you are purchasing skincare products, it is important to check the ingredient lists to make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. We support only natural, non-toxic, truly healthy ingredients. Additionally, there are harmful ingredients to your skin that you should avoid, so it is important to know what is in each product before using it. For example, many skincare products contain alcohol, which can actually dry out your skin and cause irritation.
Skincare Hack #3: Apply sunscreen daily
One of the best things that you can do for your skin is to apply sunscreen every day, even if you do not plan on spending time in the sun. Sunscreen will protect your skin from damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) rays, which can lead to wrinkles, sun spots, and even skin cancer. Even though you may not be spending as much time outdoors in winter, UV rays can still penetrate through clouds and cause damage to the skin. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and apply it every day.
Skincare Hack #4: Use a gentle cleanser
Avoid using harsh soaps when washing your face as these soaps can strip your face of its natural oils. Using a gentle cleanser will protect your skin’s natural barrier function and hydrate your skin and reduce the chance of irritation. We offer a Gentle Face Cleanser that will soothe and repair your skin, improve collagen synthesis while respecting the skin’s moisture balance.
Skincare Hack #5: Don't forget to exfoliate
Exfoliating can help remove dead skin cells and allow your moisturizer to work more effectively. As we’re all about natural skin care, a DIY gentle physical exfoliator (like this sugar scrub) or chemical exfoliator will do the trick. Just be sure not to overdo it, as exfoliating too often can actually damage the skin barrier.
Skincare Hack #6: Moisturize
Apply your hydrating products immediately after showering or bathing. Your skin will still be damp which allows your skin to lock in hydration. During the winter months use a thicker moisturizer as it provides a richer hydration for your skin. An extremely beneficial treatment that is an effective form of moisturizer is the Advanced Repair Serum and Nourishing Oil Complex.
Top Skin Ingredients That Nourish And Hydrate Your Skin In Winter
Taking care of your skin during winter is vital as the cold weather is harsh on your skin. Here are some top ingredients that will nourish and hydrate your skin this winter:
- Shea Butter - Shea butter is a rich and moisturizing ingredient that is perfect for winter. It will help to protect your skin against the cold weather and keep it hydrated.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil is another great option for winter skincare. It will help to nourish your skin and keep it hydrated.
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E is an important nutrient for healthy skin, and it can also help to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun and wind in winter.
- Jojoba oil - Jojoba oil helps moisturize your skin and has anti-inflammatory properties to reduce redness and irritation of the skin. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Aloe Vera Gel - Aloe Vera Gel moisturizes your skin as well contributes toward its healing sunburn, a cut or skin irritations. It has anti-aging properties as it reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Try our product Tierra Advanced Repair Serum as it contains this ingredient. Read more about the benefits of Aloe Vera here.
- Passion fruit Seed Oil - Passion fruit Seed Oil moisturizes your skin, is high in antioxidants that helps with anti-aging. It helps reduce inflammation and speeds up healing of cuts and other skin irritations. Try Tierra’s Gentle Face Cleanser as it contains this ingredient.
Ready to help your skin maintain its glow as winter approaches? Tierra by Maria is here to help Check out our Advanced Repair Serum, Anti-Aging Cream and Gentle Face Cleanser - all 100% natural, sustainable, powerful skincare products that will give your skin all the health benefits it needs, without compromising the environment. Be sure to also check us out on Instagram page @tierrapormaria / @tierrabymaria.